|Written by Dr.Md.Redwanul Huq (Masum)|
|Friday, 01 June 2012 10:27|
It is a condition where one or more parts of the urinary system i.e. kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra become infected.
Symptoms of UTI:
Symptoms of UTI are as following:
- Painful burning micturation
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Increased need to urinate at night
- Passage of foul smelling, cloudy or red urine.
- Fever -with chills and rigor
- Nausea, vomiting
- Discomfort or pressure in the lower abdomen
- Pain in the pelvic region or lower back
Lifestyle modification to prevent urinary infection:
- Don’t retain your urine when there is urge to void
- Clean the genital and urinary organs after each bowel movement
- Avoid tight-fitting pants and under wares
- Use sanitary napkins when needed
- Keep the genital organs and anal areas clean before and after sexual act.
- Urinate before and after sexual intercourse.
- Avoid sexual relation with multiple partners to avoid urinary infection
- Do not use perfumes or any other type of allergens near the genitalia.
Role of diet in UTI as preventive measure and as remedy:
Role of diet in UTI is significant. So following measures should be taken to prevent it and to get cure from it –
- Drinking of plenty of fluids like- soups, juices, coconut water along with barely water daily
- Increased intake of vitamin C-rich foods such as guavas, bell peppers, lemons, limes,oranges etc
- Increased intake of wholesome foods like vegetables and fruits
- Intake of blueberries, cranberries, lignonberry as these are the home remedies for UTIs.
- Intake of herbal teas, mint and ginger is helpful
- Avoiding processed foods, cheese and other dairy products, tea, coffee, chocolates, spicy foods, beer and other alcoholic beverages.