|Written by Dr.Md.Redwanul Huq (Masum)|
|Sunday, 15 January 2012 16:07|
UTI (Urinary Tract Infection):
It is a condition where one or more parts of the urinary system i.e. kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra become infected.
Symptoms of UTI:
- Painful burning micturation
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Increased need to urinate at night
- Passage of foul smelling, cloudy or red urine.
- Fever – with chills and rigor
- Nausea, vomiting
- Discomfort or pressure in the lower abdomen
- Pain in the pelvic region or lower back
Signs of UTI:
- Pelvic tenderness
- Loin tenderness.
Causes of UTI:
Causes of UTI are-
1. Bacterial infection-
- Escherichia coli
- taphylococcus aureus
- Staphylococcus saprophyticus
- Proteus mirabilis
- Ureaplasma urealyticum
- Mycoplasma hominis.
2. Fungal infection-
- Candida albicans
- Cryptococcus spp
3. Parasitic infestation-
Investigations in UTI:
- Urine R/E- Pus cells are present in urinary infection
- Urine C/S- shows growth of causative organisms(if any)
- USG of KUB region- to know anatomical status of kidneys, ureters, bladder
- X-ray KUB- to exclude renal, ureteric or bladder stone
- Voiding cystourethrogram
- CT scan of abdomen to exclude renal stone or any other type of obstruction
- Blood C/S – in severe cases.
Treatment of UTI:
Symptomatic treatment of UTI-
Specific treatment of UTI–
UTI is treated specifically with antibiotics like –
- Penicillins (e.g. Amoxicillin)
- Cephalosporins (e.g. cephalexin, cefadroxil, cefuroxime, cefixime etc)
- Fluoroquinolones – e.g. ofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin, levofloxacin etc
- Tetracyclines- e.g. doxycycline, tetracycline, minocycline.
- Aminoglycosides- e.g. gentamicin, tobramycin, amikacin
Lifestyle modification to prevent urinary infection:
- Don’t retain your urine when there is urge to void
- Clean the genital and urinary organs after each bowel movement
- Avoid tight-fitting pants and under wares
- Use sanitary napkins when needed
- Keep the genital organs and anal areas clean before and after sexual act.
- Urinate before and after sexual intercourse.
- Avoid sexual relation with multiple partners to avoid urinary infection
- Do not use perfumes or any other type of allergens near the genitalia.
Role of diet in UTI as preventive measure and as remedy:
Role of diet in UTI is significant. So following measures should be taken to prevent it and to get cure from it.
- Drinking of plenty of fluids like- soups, juices, coconut water along with barely water daily
- Increased intake of vitamin C-rich foods such as guavas, bell peppers, lemons, limes,oranges etc
- Increased intake of wholesome foods like vegetables and fruits
- Intake of blueberries, cranberries, lignonberry as these are the home remedies for UTIs.
- Intake of herbal teas, mint and ginger is helpful
- Avoiding processed foods, cheese and other dairy products, tea, coffee, chocolates,spicy foods, beer and other alcoholic beverages.