|Written by Dr.Md.Redwanul Huq (Masum)|
|Wednesday, 09 November 2011 15:24|
It is a type of itching dermatosis caused by human itch mite named Sarcoptes scabiei.
Symptoms of Scabies:
Symptoms of scabies are the following that tend to worsen at night and after a hot shower-
1. Intense itching
2. Burrows, rash, small papules and vesicles with or without eczematous plaques, pustules,
or nodules typically present in the following sites:
- Between the fingers
- Skin folds under the breasts(in case of female)
- Nipple or areola of the breast(in case of female)
- Around the navel
- Belt line
- Upper thighs(Face, palms, soles, scalp and neck are spared except in infants)
3. Scratching of the lesions may result scaling, redness or sores (may be infected with bacteria).
Cure for Scabies:
To get cure for scabies following measures should be taken-
- All clothing, bedding and towels should be washed by hot, soapy water and then should be dried on high heat or heat-pressed at least two or three days before starting treatment for scabies.
- Which items can’t be washed should be placed in a plastic bag (sealed) and left in a place for few weeks.
- Areas of the skin lesions can be soaked in cool water or covered by a cool and wet washcloth to reduce itching.
- Persons having close contact with the infested one (including his or her sexual partner) should be treated at the same time.
There is no definite dietary modification for scabies except avoiding allergic foods (if any) which may aggravate the itching.