|Written by Dr.Md.Redwanul Huq (Masum)|
|Sunday, 17 March 2013 12:13|
Symptoms of Mitral stenosis(MS):
May be asymptomatic or can have one or more of following symptoms-
- Dyspnoea on exertion
- Paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnoea
Signs of Mitral stenosis(MS):
- Low volume pulse
- Engorged neck vein
- Apical impulse- taping in nature
- Left Parasternal heave
- Opening snap of mitral valve
- Loud first heart sound
- Secound heart sound loud in pulmonary area
- Mid-diastolic murmur in mitral area, which is low-pitched, localized, rough, rumbling (hints:LLRR), best heard with bell of the stethoscope, in the left lateral position with the breath holding on expiration, with pre-systolic accentuation.
Complications of Mitral stenosis(MS):
- Congestive cardiac failure (CCF)
- Infective endocarditis
- Cardiac arrhythmias.
Investigations for Mitral stenosis(MS):
- Chest X-Ray
- Cardiac catheterization.
Treatment of Mitral stenosis(MS):
A. Medical Treatment of Mitral stenosis(MS):
- Supportive treatment of mitral stenosis
- Treatment of complications of mitral stenosis
- Prophylaxis of Rheumatic recurrence
B. Surgical Treatment of Mitral stenosis(MS):
- Closed mitral valvotomy
- Mitral valvoplasty.