|Written by Dr.Md.Redwanul Huq (Masum)|
|Sunday, 17 March 2013 12:16|
Symptoms of Mitral regurgitation:
- May be asymptomatic
- Exertional dyspnoea.
Signs of Mitral regurgitation:
- Shifted apex beat
- Apical impulse- heaving in nature
- Systolic thrill
- First heart sound may be soft
- Second heart sound is normally split and diminished
- Pansystolic murmur which is best heard at the apex in left decubitus position and radiating with equal intensity to axilla and back.
Complications of Mitral regurgitation:
- Congestive cardiac failure (CCF)
- Infective endocarditis
- Atrial fibrillations
- Atrial flutter
- Ventricular extrasystole
- Pulmonary hypertension.
Investigations for Mitral regurgitation:
- Chest X-ray
- ECG-Left ventricular hypertrophy, Left atrial hypertrophy
Differential diagnosis of Mitral regurgitation:
- ASD (Atrial Septal Defect)
- Mitral valve prolapse.
Treatment of Mitral regurgitation:
I. Medical treatment:
- Mild with no symptom-no treatment of mitral regurgitation
- Treatment of complications of mitral regurgitation, e.g.CCF, Infective endocarditis
- Prophylaxis in cases of-Rheumatic fever, antibiotic against Infective endocarditis, maintenance of dental hygiene.
II. Surgical treatment:
- Mitral valve surgery-
– Intractable CCF
– Pulmonary hypertension
– Progressive cardiomegaly with symptoms.
- Mitral valve replacement.