|Written by Dr.Md.Redwanul Huq (Masum)|
|Sunday, 26 June 2011 14:17|
What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS):
The irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a gastrointestinal disorder which is characterized by lower abdominal pain and disordered defecation with bloating, tenesmus and functional upper gastrointestinal symptoms.
Symptoms of IBS:
Intestinal symptoms of IBS:
- Abdominal pain or discomfort beginning at least 6 months ago, occurring at least 3 days each month in the last 3 months and at least two of the followings are present:
» Pain is relieved by having a bowel movement.
» Pain is linked to a change in the appearance or consistency of your stool.
» Pain is linked to a change in how often you have a bowel movement.
- Alternate passage of hard and soft stool(Any type can be more than the other).
- Sense of incomplete passage of stool.
- Bloating or a feeling of gas in the intestine
- Passage of mucus in stools.
Non-Intestinal symptoms of IBS:
- Sleeping problems (insomnia) not caused by symptoms of IBS.
- Anxiety or depression
- Unpleasant taste in the mouth.
- Pain during sex or reduced sexual desire.
- Urinary frequency or urgency, trouble in starting the urine stream)
How to control IBS:
- Don’t suppress urges to defecate. When the urge comes, find a toilet.
- Avoid stress
- Increase your level of physical activity
- Have Cognitive Behavioral Therapy(CBT) in which you will be taught strategies for modifying maladaptive thinking patterns and new behaviors for managing anxiety and handling stressful conditions.
- Get Hypnotherapy in which there is induction of a relaxing and comfortable state of consciousness where specific suggestions are offered in order to achieve a permanent change in behavior.
Diet in IBS:
- Try to find out the foods causing problem in you and eliminate those foods from your diet
- Increase soluble fiber( Present in Apples, Barley, Citrus fruits, Strawberries, Carrots, Guar,Legumes) for diarrhea-predominant IBS and insoluble fiber( Present in Whole- wheat flour, Bran, Vegetables,Whole grains, Mature vegetables,Wheat, Fruits and edible seeds like flax seeds & strawberries) for the treatment of constipation-predominant IBS
- Avoid eating large or fatty meals
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals
- Try to avoid gas-producing vegetables, artificial sweeteners, caffeine in diet in IBS
- Don’t take alcohol
- For constipation-predominant IBS:
¤ Try to eat a large breakfast
¤ Decrease dairy, egg, and meat products to a healthy balance
¤ Increase the amount of water and non-caffeinated beverages.