|Written by Dr.Md.Redwanul Huq (Masum)|
|Monday, 16 January 2012 12:52|
Definition of diarrhea:
It is characterized by an increased frequency and volume and decreased consistency of the stool from the normal state.
Classification (Types) of diarrhea:
Diarrhea can be classified as-
1. Acute watery diarrhea – acute onset, duration is less than 14 days, no passage of blood
2. Persistent diarrhea – it occurs when the duration of symptoms exceeds 7 days
3. Chronic diarrhea – it occurs when it lasts for more than 14 days.
Causes of watery diarrhea:
- Rota virus
- Vibrio cholerae
- Entero-toxigenic E. coli
- Entero-pathogenic E. coli.
Differential diagnosis in children presenting with diarrhea:
- Primary GIT disease e.g. cystic fibrosis, inflammatory bowel disease, celiac disease etc
- Surgical problems like intussusceptions, malrotation etc
- Spurious diarrhea – faecal impaction with overflow
- Infections outside GIT, e.g. meningitis, urinary tract infection etc
- Immunodeficiency e.g. AIDS
- Toddler’s diarrhea
- Side-effects of medications e.g. antibiotics.