|Written by Dr.Md.Redwanul Huq (Masum)|
|Monday, 16 January 2012 06:51|
Definition of Apnea:
Apnoea is defined as temporary cessation of breathing for more than 20 seconds or cessation of breathing for any duration if accompanied by bradycardia or cyanosis.
Management of Apnea:
1. Airway clearance
2. Establishment of breathing
3. Maintenance of circulation
4. Treatment of underlying cause(s) like sepsis, hypoglycemia, hypocalcaemia, Acute respiratory distress syndrome etc.
5. Blood transfusion if Hb is less than 10 gm/dl.
6. Avoidance of excessive oropharyngeal suction.
7. Avoidance of oral feeding for at least 24 hours in cases of apnoea..
Inj.Aminophyline 5-7 mg/kg IV stat followed by a maintenance dose of 1.5 – 2 mg/kg/dose IV 6-8 hourly(in drip).